Ready to Work: Job-Driven Training and American Opportunity
Author(s): No individual author identified
Organizational Author(s): The White House
Resource Availability: Publically available
Examines best practices of federal employment and training programs; recommends administrative actions and provides guidance to states to increase their effectiveness.
In 2014, a presidential memo called for the vice president, along with a specified team, to develop an action plan to make America’s workforce and training system “more job-driven, integrated and effective” consistent with existing statutes (p.4). The review engaged elected officials, economists, workforce and training practitioners, labor unions, educators, employers, and workers and identified three problems: (1) employers can’t find enough skilled workers, (2) education and training programs need better information on required job skills, and (3) workers aren’t sure what training to pursue and whether jobs will be available upon completion of training. The report outlines various opportunities to reform federal employment and training programs. (Abstractor: Author and Website Staff)
Major Findings & Recommendations
The review recommends multiple strategies regarding federal employment and training programs, including:
• “Providing leadership in creating a job-driven checklist” so that job-driven characteristics are incorporated into training programs across the government (p.28).
• “[Fostering] innovation to improve job training” and experimenting with new approaches (p.48).
• “Encouraging collaboration” at the federal, state and local levels (p.52).
• “Engaging employers in best practices for hiring and recruiting the long-term unemployed” (p.59).
• “Encouraging regional collaboration to get the long-term unemployed back to work” (p.59).
• “Ensuring federal policies support hiring of the long-term unemployed” (p.59). (Abstractor: Author and Website Staff)
Workforce System Strategies Content Information
You Might Also Like
- Innovations in Apprenticeship: 5 Case Studies That Illustrat...
- Making Skills Everyone’s Business: A Call to Transform Adult...
- Greenprint: A Plan to Prepare Community College Students for...
- Building Better Career Pathways: A Guide for System Developm...
- A Framework for Higher Education Labor Market Alignment: Les...